If you are a resident of India and want to travel abroad because your business related work or because of education, pilgrimage, tourism, or medical purposes then you would need your passport in order to do so. But what is the right procedure for that? How can you get your passport issued? Well, if these are your questions, then you have come to the right place because today we are going to tell you just that. So, get your glasses and start reading!
How to apply for Indian Passport?
In India, the passport is issued by the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, with the help of a network of 37 passport offices, Central Passport Organization (CPO), and Passport Seva Kendras (PSKs), which are situated in different cities of this country. Now in order to apply for the Indian passport online, an Indian resident can either visit Passport Seva Website or install the Passport Seva App. After that-
- The applicant first needs to register on the passport Online Seva Portal. However, if you are already registered there then you would need to login on the portal using your registered ID and password.
- Next, you would need to click upon the “Apply for Fresh Passport/ Reissue of Passport” link.
- After that, a form will appear on your screen that you would need to fill and submit.
- Next, you will need to look for the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ option under the ‘View Saved / Submitted Applicants’ tab to finalize your appointment.
- Once, you have made the payment and booked the appointment with the passport office, then you would need to get a print of your application form in which your Application Reference Number is mentioned. You can do so by clicking on the ‘Print Application Receipt’ link.
- Lastly, you would need to appear for the appointment at the Passport Seva Kendra or Regional Passport Office along with your original documents at the scheduled date and time.
For those who are opting for the offline method, you need to buy the application form, fill and submit it at the center along with the required documents.
What is the fee structure for Indian Passport?
Following is the fee structure for acquiring the Indian Passport-
- If you are applying for a fresh passport/ reissue of the passport under normal scheme then charges for 36 pages are 1500 bucks while for 60 pages it costs 2000 bucks.
- In case you are applying for a fresh passport/ reissue of the passport under tatkal scheme then charges are 3500 bucks for 36 pages, while 4000 bucks for 60 pages.
What documents are required for acquiring Indian Passport?
For acquiring a Passport, you need to present the following documents-
- Proof of address
- Evidence of date of birth
- Passport application form
- Document proof for any one of the non-ECR categories
Now, as the evidence of your date of birth, you can present-
- PAN card
- Voter ID
- Driving license
- Birth certificate
- Transfer certificate
- Aadhaar card
- A declaration by the Head of the Orphanage or Child Care Home confirming your date of birth.
- The copy of an extract of the service record or pension order, testified by the concerned department, can also be provided by government employees.
- The copy of the policy bond issued by the Public Life Insurance Corporation, if it includes the date of the birth of the holder can also be provided.
So, this is the procedure to acquire an Indian Passport. Now, if you are planning on traveling abroad soon, then follow these steps to acquire your passport. Go hurry!